ISCAS and openEuler are launching an alternative to Google Summer of Code

hanyoung hanyoung at protonmail.com
Tue May 11 11:39:42 BST 2021

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 6:19 PM, Paul Brown <paul.brown at kde.org> wrote:

> This is not about monetary incentive. This is about building up a KDE
> Community in China, like we are doing in India. We want to help Chinese
> students to contribute and break into FLOSS via KDE, and do so on their own
> terms and their own turf. We are working this on several fronts and this is
> potentially one way we can explore.
>
> TL/DR: Compensation is irrelevant.
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

As a Chinese student myself, I agree this will be a great opportunity to help spread KDE in China. For Chinese students, the main obstacles are language and unfamiliarity. Being a respected institute in China, ISCAS can bridge the two sides. So students won't be overwhelmed with the new environment.

And it's more difficult to find summer internship in China, so we may have more potential students as well.

Regards,
Han