The chat situation

Kenny Duffus kenny at kde.org
Thu Jun 11 08:13:19 BST 2020

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 07:20:55 BST Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, 11 June 2020 01:16:55 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> > Carson's email about bridging #kde-devel to Telegram got me thinking: we
> > should have a discussion about the situation we're in regarding chat
> > services in KDE.
> >
> > The current Matrix solution does not seem not optimal to me. I have
> > really tried my best to be a good citizen and use Matrix as much as
> > possible over the last year but I find myself gravitating back towards
> > Telegram because of how much better the overall UX is, especially for
> > fast-moving discussions and those involving images.
> >
> > I haven't found a Matrix client that offers both a half-decent UX and
> > also a reasonable featureset. The service suffers from lag, sometimes
> > severe. Periodically the federation breaks, or the bridge between IRC
> > and Telegram breaks, leading to people's messages silently vanishing.
> > The implementation of the bridge itself impedes discussions between
> > Telegram users and IRC/Matrix users because when a Telegram user replies
> > to a post made by someone on IRC or Matrix, that person person can't see
> > the message being replied to. Overall it just does not feel like a great
> > user experience.
> >
> > This situation really needs to be fixed, somehow. I'm not knowledgeable
> > enough regarding chat software to be able to propose solution, but I
> > don't feel like the status quo is something we should live with. Can we
> > fix Matrix? Or should we migrate to something that offers a better UX?
>
> I've not been a good citizen like you and stuck mostly to IRC so I got a
> question out of curiosity (and because I think it'll impact the decision
> making).
>
> Regarding the lags and the breakages, do they happen only to bridged channels?
> Or do they happen also for "pure" Matrix channels as well?

Bridging is the main issue. The community not using things other than IRC would remove these problems. However going back to that state is probably unlikely

I think it is unfair to lay all the blame at Matrix's door. Bridged Telegram is a bad experience for users on both IRC and Matrix. While the IRC <> Matrix integration experience is very good, except on those odd occasions when there are problems with the bridge

--

	Kenny
	(Pronouns: he/him)