Proposal: "Noteworthy" label for Promo application updates

Julian mail at xyquadrat.ch
Wed Apr 15 13:19:47 BST 2020

Hello everyone,
As you all are probably aware, KDE Promo writes monthly updates on what happens
within our applications and also promotes the releases done by the Release Service (like
Dolphin 20.04, Kate 20.04, Kontact, etc.). For these updates, we need to get all important
new features and bug fixes that are present in the latest releases.
Up until now, we have reached out to developers every time we wanted to compile such
feature lists. This approach has several drawbacks:
- Projects occasionally forget to add their new features. This leaves us with the choice to
either seek out all changes ourselves (which is very time consuming) or omit the
application in the writeup (which is not good either)- Smaller projects might be left out
because we do not know that they have released something cool- There is an inevitable
waiting period between us asking for a feature list and the completion of the list. This can
lead to delays in the announcement process and lowers the quality of the announcement
(for example, because translators don't have the time to translate the text before it is
made public)
We would therefore like to propose a different approach.
 1. Get a standardized "Noteworthy" label added on Invent. 2. Whenever a noteworthy
change is merged (that is, a cool new feature or an important bug fix), the reviewers add
said label. 3. When Promo drafts release notes or other updates, we can filter for said label
and instantly see all relevant changes.
This ensures that no important contributions are overlooked and results in a much
smoother workflow for Promo. We'd like to get feedback from developers on this proposal
and if no major objections are raised, implement this workflow change as soon as code
hosting is fully transitioned to GitLab.
Best regards,Julian / xyquadrat on behalf of KDE Promo

P.S.: Please note that we still need your notes on changes for the 20.04 release, however.
Visit https://share.kde.org/s/SJqzmemQ3PsrmGR[1] and add in noteworthy features and
bug fixes there.

--------
[1] https://share.kde.org/s/SJqzmemQ3PsrmGR