Qt, Open Source and corona

Klaas Freitag freitag at kde.org
Thu Apr 9 11:27:17 BST 2020

Am 08.04.20 um 20:03 schrieb Nate Graham:
> On 4/8/20 9:32 AM, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>> On 2020-04-08 15:39, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>> On woensdag 8 april 2020 13:13:41 CEST Jens wrote:

> It's heartening that KDAB has already indicated willingness to support
> such a thing should it become necessary. Are there other Qt-using
> companies who we could reach out to? Maybe also linux distro packagers?

There are many small companies with a few crafters building Qt apps for
all kind of devices. I can imagine that many of them would be willing to
contribute small pieces as well if that would be a benefit for them.
Even if they can not use Qt under a free license, a benefit could also
be things like a vibrant developer community, blogs etc. that are
strongly Qt related.

Needed for that would be some kind of community management for this kind
of community. I am, tbh, not sure if the KDE is the right organization
to do that, maybe that is something that should go on a parallel track
initiated through KDAB & friends? If so (and probably there are already
thoughts), this should go hand in hand with the KDE initiatives to build
a strong ecosystem.

> Perhaps the KDE e.V. could look into hiring people to help maintain the
> fork, given the importance of Qt's code to our software.
Well yes, all in all this is a huge task. It will be hard to keep a free
Qt fork the leading technology without a paid developer group.

I myself, with my own fork experiences, very much hope that all this can
still be avoided.

Klaas