Proposal: Allow REUSE compatible License Statements in License Policy

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Sun Jan 12 14:19:29 GMT 2020

Hi, after the comments for my initial licensing policy draft, I prepared an
update:

- current version of the draft: https://community.kde.org/Policies/
Licensing_Policy/Draft_SPDX_v2
- diff with current policy: https://community.kde.org/index.php?
title=Policies%2FLicensing_Policy%2FDraft_SPDX_v2&type=revision&diff=87200&oldid=87134
- diff with the draft from my last mail: https://community.kde.org/index.php?
title=Policies%2FLicensing_Policy%2FDraft_SPDX_v2&type=revision&diff=87200&oldid=87138

The major changes are:
- The license texts for LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL and LicenseRef-KDE-
Accepted-LGPL now explicitly state the version 3 of the licenses as baselines
for the "any later version that is accepted [...]" clause.
- Added a new section for the license texts for the above two LicenseRef
licenses and added links to them in the respective SPDX statements. I also
added a few notes about adding license text to the repository and then pointed
to the REUSE specification.
- All existing license headers are now in an extra section called "License
Headers (Deprecated)".

Moreover, I prepared a first version of a licensing howto and added it to the
guidelines/howto section into the community wiki (please feel free to update/
extend/clarify it!):
- https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Licensing

So, how to move forward now? My suggestion would be to keep this thread open
for two more weeks. If nobody objects until then, I would then replace the
existing licensing policy with this new policy text. If suggestions for
smaller revisions of the policy draft come up during that time, I will
incorporate them, of course.

Cheers,
Andreas