Proposal: Allow REUSE compatible License Statements in License Policy

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 05:19:31 GMT 2020

On Montag, 6. Januar 2020 14:54:37 CET Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Well done on taking the lead on this, it seems like a nice step forward in
> making our licencing clear and consistent.
>
> Your changes to the policy all seem sensible.
>
> You have kept the licence paragraphs for the file headers in the policy?
> Is that needed now with REUSE and SPDX? Can it not just be a line for
> SPDX-FileCopyrightText and one for SPDX-License-Identifier in the files
> themselves now?

Hi, the license header paragraphs are not needed with SPDX and it is actually
best to remove them completely to avoid ambiguity.
Yet, I think we need a transitions phase for which we will see both variants
in our repository. I tried to define this with the new "either" constraint in
bullet point 3. I.e., there are two choices, one for SPDX annotations and one
for traditional license headers. But I can make this more prominent that the
traditional headers are deprecated and one should not add both information.

Cheers,
Andreas