KDE Developer Documentation

Juan Carlos Torres jucato at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 27 13:33:35 GMT 2019

Hi Carl,

Thank you for the response!

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 5:59 AM Carl Schwan <carl at carlschwan.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the report. An issue I see currently is that we have three
> entries for our KDE frameworks and developer utilities:
>
> 1. https://kde.org/develop
> 2. https://kde.org/products/frameworks/
> 3. https://techbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_TechBase
>
> Maybe we could merge some of them.

To be honest, I'm not yet completely sure on how to proceed with this. They
may look like duplicates but they also do address different groups and
purposes.

1. https://kde.org/develop - This should probably  be *the* hub for
developers, whether or not they are contributors (internal) or external. I
see it as a simple landing page for directing them to the proper channels
or pages, be it TechBase, Community Wiki, etc.
2. https://kde.org/products/frameworks/ - This is more of an advertisement
of Frameworks as a KDE product vis-a-vis Plasma and Applications. Content
here leans more towards marketing really, like a brochure. Not much
technical content.
3. https://techbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_TechBase - This is pretty much
the documentation material for external developers. It may have some
duplicated material from 1 but the tone is more for those not too familiar
with the KDE community.

We definitely need to clean them up and organize things but I'm not sure if
merging them would be a good idea either.

Could it help to create a Season of KDE task for the documentation? I saw a
> huge influx of newcomers to the KDE Web group[1] (almost 50 peoples in two
> weeks) because of Season of KDE and a blog post from Thiago[2].

There was an attempt to join the Summer of Documentation earlier this year
but we kinda came in too late to organize it. If there is another one next
year, perhaps we can join that.

--
Regards,

Juan Carlos Torres