Telemetry Policy

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Wed Aug 16 13:19:50 BST 2017

Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2017, 00:33:02 CEST schrieb Valorie Zimmerman:

> I think the entire page might be enlightening to this discussion. I
> believe our analysis of needs should be more fine-grained, and that
> some parts of what we need can be "default on" especially for
> pre-release testing. For releases, we can provide an opt-out.

I'm afraid that at the very moment KDE starts transmitting my data, no matter
what data, as opt-out, I'll opt out of supporting and using KDE products, and
I assume a lot of people will do the same.

This is, in my opinion, the exact opposites of our very principles and
manifesto, and I would not jeapardize our reputation just to gather some data,
to be honest. It would create reputational damage that is hard to fix  (people
still remember the Unity amazon thing)

I do admit that I have very strong views when it comes to privacy and data
usage though.

> Other more sensitive data will need to be opt-in. I think it's a
> mistake to treat all the data we might want all in the same way.
>
> Valorie

Kind regards,

Christian