radical proposal: move IRC to Rocket.Chat

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Aug 11 08:56:23 BST 2017

Luigi says it well: there is a point to this exercise in figuring out what is
desired / required of an IM system. That can be interesting in and of itself
-- I've gone and interviewed my daughter on her use of different IM systems,
and found a whole hierarchy of needs and fine distinctions in the under-16
crowd.

On Friday 11 August 2017 08:12:32 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Il 10 agosto 2017 22:34:19 EEST, Christian Loosli <kde at fuchsnet.ch> ha
scritto:
> >If people want to switch themselves: already possible, with or without
> >this
> >thread and the etherpad.
> >
> >The original topic of this thread is _move_ to rocket, and the title of
> >the
> >etherpad is to find an IM that suits people best. So either you want to
> >
> >switch, then the cornerns of the people mentioned are fully valid, or
> >you
> >don't, then you already have everything and the whole thing is
> >pointless
>
> The topic is what it is because of how it started but the etherpad is still
> useful. Even if more bridges are available, maybe it is possible to choose
> one of them as primary or preferred, where invest in terms of client or
> support on the server side or whatever.

Well-said. It may be possible to figure out a common core of functionality that
is desired; that same list might be held up as a checklist for bridges; might
also be a list to look at and go "IM can do that?"

The etherpad seems to be unchanged in the last 12 hours at least, perhaps it
is time to clean it up, categorize the requirements and post it (Thomas, you
were instrumental in trying to make a constructive discussion out of this, can
you take a look?)

[ade]