latest draft for mission (and strategy)

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 02:43:57 BST 2017

Hello,

On Monday, 29 May 2017 21:17:29 CEST Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> [...]
> I'd like to invite you all to take a look at the current draft and
> provide your constructive feedback so we can use this as the basis for
> our work for the next years.
>
> https://community.kde.org/KDE/Mission

Took me quite some time to decide to look at the mission in more details and
write a reply here. That's in part because I think I might bring doom and
gloom in this thread.

Indeed, I'm rather torn with it. There are two ways to look at it.

1) It can be seen *retrospectively* as a way to make the implicit more
explicit. In that regard I think it's a success. As others in this thread
mentioned it better than I could, I agree it summarizes quite excellently what
we do. If what we were trying to achieve was make clear what we do, job is now
done. Congrats everyone involved, it really wasn't easy at all to put into
words what we've been doing for years.

From that point of view, I would say I got only one small concern. The Mission
seems to overlap with the Manifesto to some extent, which is likely fine. And,
at the same time, neither the Vision or the Mission refers to the Manifesto
which makes it seem somewhat isolated now. Also, the aim behind all those
documents is to make explicit to outsiders our why, what and how... well,
that's quite a few documents now. I wouldn't expect them to know how it all
articulates and that probably needs addressing. I admit I'm not sure how.

2) It can also be seen from the angle of "what prompted the creation of the
Vision and the Mission?", and did we actually achieve what we wanted when we
started that process. That's where I think I'll be a pain for everyone
involved.

I'll recap the events which in my opinion started this soul searching. To me,
it all goes back to Paul Adams' talk at Akademy 2014. If you don't remember it
or didn't see it, I'll let you watch the video now:
https://conf.kde.org/en/Akademy2014/public/events/167

I'll wait... You're done? OK, let's carry on.

In short the conclusion was that the community was massively shrinking. To him
it was likely because we lost focus, a shared technical vision and a shared
tone (as he put it, I'd have put it differently I think, but let's not get
into that).

It then led to discussions of course. Who wouldn't want to fix that situation,
right? Those discussions culminated to Lydia announcing the "Evolving KDE"
effort in order to "reflect on where we as a community stand and where we want
to go".

And I think that's on Paul's conclusion and Lydia's initial goal, that the
Vision and Mission should be judged.

Do they both answer "where we as a community stand"? Obviously yes, see my
first part in this email, by making the implicit explicit they definitely
served that purpose.

Do they both answer "where we want to go"? I hope not.

Indeed, once more (i.e. like with the Manifesto), we're describing business as
usual, just on a different level this time. So if our answer to "where we want
to go" is: "nowhere in particular, we just like where we're standing now",
then the job is done from Lydia's initial goal point of view. Still I honestly
hate the answer since it won't solve one bit of what Paul pointed out three
years ago.

In my opinion our answer to "where we want to go" was supposed to be something
else than "nowhere in particular". Then I think we're falling very short on
that. We face a problem, and instead of putting our efforts to find where to
go to solve it, we're been pouring over the years massive efforts into
describing where we currently are. That's understandable but it means we went
off track in my opinion. If we stop at what we got so far, we're in my opinion
falling into a kind of conservatism trap. The community will stay put and will
keep shrinking as people loose interest and less new blood gets in.

I hope for another fate. Because of that, I don't think this is a proper
conclusion to the Evolving KDE effort or a proper answer to Paul's talk.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net