Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Jan 8 17:24:21 GMT 2017

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:
> Il giorno Sun, 8 Jan 2017 00:02:06 -0800
> Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> However, the sysadmins would like the KDE community support for this,
>> since it could be seen as a "slippery slope." In addition, Ben
>
> With both my KDE and distro person hats, -1 to the idea. I think that
> distribution and KDE infrastructure should be kept separate, exactly
> because the goals of distros may not always align with KDE goals, even
> if there's an amount of overlap in people and ideas.

That's why Ben suggests to have some kind of ḿanifesto.

Personally, I would see it in good eyes if some distribution becomes a
KDE project. It's fair that whoever uses KDE has their own goals, our
licenses allows for it, but still we should know who is aligned with
our goals instead of pushing all distributions away because they're
different.

Aleix