[kde-community] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 19:33:33 BST 2016

On 04/27/2016 03:20 AM, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> Given how respected, appreciated and well-used Thunderbird has been in
> my experience, including industrial environments (only dream for certain
> KDE subprojects?), I would suggest having a bit more good faith at this
> point. Such early conclusions have been brought up about the Qt
> framework as well after the Nokia decline. I am now being told that the
> Qt business has been doing really well instead.

I'm not saying Thunderbird doesn't have users at present. I'm
saying its usage numbers have failed to translate to a revenue
stream or an excess of manpower; problems severe enough its
original parent organization has struggled to keep it going.
On top of that, it's facing immense technological challenges in
the relatively near future that will make it harder, not easier
to develop further.

Thunderbird joining KDE.org would require us to invest
resources (monetary, but also the time and motivation of e.g.
our sysadmins and our board). Can we recoup those? Why us if
others could not?

> Best Regards,
> Laszlo Papp

Cheers,