[kde-community] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 17:30:30 BST 2016

On Dienstag, 26. April 2016 16:03:43 CEST Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hello KDE-ers,
>
> Mozilla Thunderbird is looking for a new home [1]. They are evaluating a
> number of options. KDE was not in the initial list of options, but I think
> KDE and Thunderbird would be an excellent fit.
>
> This mail goes to kde-community at kde.org and to a number KDE members that
> work on email. Please respond to kde-community to keep the thread on one
> place.
>
> I would like to hear what you think about the idea of Mozilla Thunderbird
> joining KDE next to KMail, Kontact, Kube, and Trojita. I think we can all
> benefit from being in one community and infrastructure.
>
> Best regards,
> Jos
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/685060/

I'm all for offering Thunderbird to join KDE!
This is not because I wouldn't believe in our own E-Mail offerings (otherwise
I wouldn't be part of the Kube team as well as mentor a university project
within KMail, would I?), but because KDE has never had a problem of being home
to multiple applications in the same area, and I think they'd be more likely
to benefit from one another than to "cannibalize" each other.

I also believe that showing a welcoming attitude towards popular projects
looking for a new home can only benefit us in general.

Cheers,
Thomas