[kde-community] Our new project metadata system

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sat Apr 2 11:09:20 BST 2016

On Freitag, 1. April 2016 10:37:46 CEST Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 31 March 2016 at 12:43, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> > AppStream metadata are already decentralized, and you don't want a
> > sysadmin
> > ticket for each change to one of them. Let's have them in the hands of
> > each
> > project manager. So I strongly disagree with moving from the current
> > status.
> Agreed. You also want different screenshots and descriptions for
> different branches of each project. Centralised storage of this was a
> complete non-goal when designing AppStream for distros. If you want to
> standardize where each appdata file is stored in the project (in
> GNOME, it's sometimes ".", "data", "data/appdata" or "src") that might
> be a worthy but difficult goal, but saying you can repopulate a
> standards compliant AppData file from JSON and Markdown doesn't sound
> very plausible at all.
>
> Also, like it or not, people are browsing and installing software
> using software centers. I don't think people go looking at
> https://www.kde.org/applications/ when trying to install a new game.
> Quite literally, there is no "Install" button to be found on that
> website.

Actually, the "install button" is in the works, because AppStream links make
that possible. This is actually important to allow people to directly link to
an application when they are for example recommending it to a friend.

Still, of course, software center applications will be the most common way to
install applications.

We just have to make sure that we have both high-quality web and software
center presentation.