[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Jos Poortvliet jos at owncloud.com
Sat Feb 27 00:01:59 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:22:22 PM AMT Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > Oooo, Steve! Thank you for capping off an excellent discussion.
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think the form
> >>
> >>  "A world in which everyone has <foo> their digital life"
> >>
> >> is fantastic!
> >>
> >> It doesn't mention KDE. It doesn't have a 'subject' at all.
> >> It has a very-inclusive object: 'everyone'
> >> It is inspirational
> >>
> > After reading all of the above, which put into words my inchaote
> > thoughts, I would like to offer the following version:
>
> It seems your thoughts are not the same as my words at all :). Your
> suggestion seems to be exactly the opposite of what I wrote in many ways.
>
> Maybe I don't understand what you mean or what you want to communicate with
> that sentence.
>
> > KDE: control your digital life
>
> You dropped the reference to 'everyone'. You added a reference to KDE. You
> dropped the 'a world in which' making it less inspirational. Altogether it
> seems to me more like a marketing slogan.
>
> Can you say why you made those changes?
>
> Something I think you are right about is:
>
> > Freedom, technology, software, privacy, all of that is IN there.
>
> So for me, this is quite good:
>
>  "A world in which everyone has control in their digital life"
>
> I think it is good for all of the same reasons in my previous email. It is
> also more concise.

I think she got sidetracked by the search for a slogan - I had the same, really liking what she wrote, then reading your mail and realizing it was a slogan, not a vision...

"A world in which everyone has control over their digital life" (in -> over) seems a great vision.

To execute, we'd need to create software which is easy to use and stable (we target 'everyone', after all), secure and giving you control over your privacy (duh) but typical KDE tendencies like making software flexible, powerful and configurable fit in this very well, too.

Of course, next KDE would have to define mission and strategy, in which more detailed things like "end user facing software", "cross-platform", "Qt" and more could or could not find a place.

To give a comparison, ownCloud's vision is something like (and I modified it to be in the same form):

"A world in which everybody has a safe place to store and manage their data".

Note that our slogan is: "A safe home for all your data"
with byline:
"Access & share your files, calendars, contacts, mail & more from any device, on your terms"

Note that ownCloud's vision is compatible with KDE's, just a bit less broad.