[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 21:27:14 GMT 2016

On Montag, 15. Februar 2016 21:49:58 CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday, February 15, 2016 18:36:18 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > A bit less than two weeks ago we sent the first draft for the
> > community vision for KDE. We have gotten a lot of useful feedback and
> > have now put this into a second draft. It reads as follows:
> > "KDE creates technology for a world in which everyone has freedom,
> > privacy and control over their digital life."
>
> just to make sure: this intentionally uses "technology" and not "software" ?

Yes, this is intentional. Since the vision is supposed to merely outline the
future we want to live in, not how to get there, we did not want to restrict
ourselves to software.

If, say, 10 years down the road, hard- and software is so much intertwined
that we cannot influence the future with software alone anymore, we don't want
people to say "But our vision says we only do software!".