[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 20:35:22 GMT 2016

On Monday 08 February 2016 17:07:26 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > We define the goal for KDE not in technical terms, but in terms of
> > Freedom, user control and privacy.
>
> I understand this part clearly. I just say that this goal is too
> broadly defined, and, therefore hardly reachable by a single
> organization like KDE.

I think you misunderstand what (the purpose of) a vision is. Let's look
at an example.

Oxfam's vision is "a just world without poverty".
https://www.oxfam.org/en/our-purpose-and-beliefs

This goal is hardly reachable by a single organization like Oxfam.

> Most free software communities, including KDE, already work towards
> that goal.

Exactly. Just as many other NGOs are working towards the same goal as
Oxfam.

> Defining it in writing as the goal of KDE adds neither value nor
> attractiveness to KDE as a project.

Well, that's debatable (and I disagree with it), but I hope you agree
that not defining it in writing as the goal of KDE can only reduce KDE's
attractiveness (because some potential contributors might fail to see
our goal and decide to join another community).

I think your concern is that the vision does not function as
differentiation from other free software communities. That's correct,
but setting KDE apart from other free software communities is not the
purpose of the vision. What differentiates us from other free software
communities is not our goal, but the way we want to reach (resp.
approach) this goal. And this way should be spelled out in the mission.

Regards,
Ingo