[kde-community] Fwd: KDE Vision – towards “wholesame” solutions

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 12:12:52 GMT 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer
<olaf at amen-online.de> wrote:
> sent to wrong mailinglist by mistake ...

I agree that integration within our projects is important. And I
believe it has suffered lately as the cohesion inside KDE became less.
My gut feeling is that this should go in the mission.

> I would suggest a sentence like the following:
> “KDE aims to offer complete, well-integrated solutions – while connecting
> different platforms, devices and online services.”

That sounds good to me.

> Before we finally agree on a vision, we need to clarify how it will relate to
> the Manifesto – and what will happen to KDE projects that do not fit to the
> vision.

They should live side-by-side. One defines who we are and the other
defines where we want to go.

> I consider it extremely important that we have clarity on the following
> questions, and would like to hear an “official” answer from both teams:
>
> 1. Will the Manifesto will stay the only official guideline for joining or
> leaving KDE? And will the vision have a purely advisory role?

IMHO we should not take the vision as an exclusionary tool but as a
reminder of where we want to go - an advisory role as you put it. It
should be there to remind us of the big picture and the change we want
to see in the world.

> 2. Or will we revise the text of the Manifesto in the same vote where we
> accept the vision?

As Kevin already brought up some time ago we can revise the manifesto.
I would suggest however to not do this in one go. I fear we're biting
off more than we can chew otherwise.

> If we change the Manifesto, then we also need to clarify:
>
> a) Will KDE projects be expelled if they do not fit the new Manifesto?
>
> b) Or will KDE projects be allowed to stay even if they do not meet the new
> Manifesto? Will other KDE projects then be forbidden from working on code that
> goes beyond the focus of the Manifesto (even if the developers consider it
> necessary for the future of the project)?
>
> c) Or can existing KDE projects can do whatever they wish – while new projects
> are forbidden to join unless they meet the focus of the Manifesto exactly
> (even if they integrate well with other, existing KDE projects having a
> different focus)?
>

> The reason I insist on these questions is that I do not want to end up in a
> situation where we agree on a vision – and then realise that people interpret
> the social consequences differently (1 or 2a or 2b or 2c).
>
> Also , it is important to me to know whether accepting a product-focussed
> vision precludes “wholesale” solutions that take the necessities of online
> services into account.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org