[kde-community] Differences between proposed vision drafts (or "inclusive" vs "focused")

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 8 22:41:08 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 08, 2016 21:42:58 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I understand that you're saying it doesn't have a place in KDE.
>
> Sebas, you may have missed that I explicitely mentioned eigen in the mail
> you  replied to ?

No, I've missed that.  Sorry...

> I don't understand what's so hard about this: we can say "we consider A, B
> and  C to be our core efforts.". That does not mean that everything which
> is outside that "core" must be kept out of KDE. Of course it means that
> software or efforts that support A, B or C, are very welcome. OTOH projects
> which don't support the core do not need to be part of KDE, they can as
> well use github or something else.
>
> I think this can only be avoided by not having some technical direction at
> all.

I think that the technical arguments don't make a lot of sense here, at least
they're not providing the clarity needed:

- Qt-based, so it should be OK? But why exactly, just because it uses the same
libraries?
- "Supports the core", what is the core? Who makes this call? Where do you
draw the technical line? (You gave some examples, but most of them feel quite
vague to me, and I'd draw the line at different points.

I think one (not the most important) benefit is that drawing the dividing line
by asking "What is your goal?" makes it a lot easier to identify projects,
they can self-select ("Do we identify with these goals?"), and also be
measured internally ("Does this software actually contribute to *our* goal?")
is easier.

Most importantly, I think that software is a means to an end, and if we don't
approach our raison-d'etre from that point of view, we're turning KDE into a
self-fulfilling prophecy out of touch with what we can give to the world.

Even the world domination joke is not an end goal, but a means to offer
Freedom solutions. World domination brings with it some interesting network
effects, so it is beneficial to the whole idea of "Freedom for everyone" as
well.
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org