[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 17:38:26 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 17:53:17, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Saturday, September 19, 2015 5:46:07 PM CEST Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > The patch would still go through review at KDE. Even with no github at all
> > a patch could have been through several revisions before being submitted.
> > The review always deals with the "final" submission (obviously not final
> > if things need to be changed).
>
> KDE does not have mandatory code review. I have to admit that I as a
> maintainer have quite often pushed commits directly which went to me by mail
> because I then reviewed them before pushing. Why uploading just to press
> shipit?

Right.
I was just saying that the workflow would be the same.
Patches of new contributors would go through review, either formal or by an
established contributor, just like they would now.

> My fear here is that if we allow pull request, people will also start to use
> them for code review at which point we have split the development team in
> those doing code review through reviewboard and those through github.

You mean that if a project currently doesn't to reviews, it would start doing
so due to accepting github contributions and then doing those on github
instead of the KDE tool?

Hmm, haven't though of that.

But wouldn't that, from the point of view of anyone else (existing
contributors, other KDE contributors) just be like the status before? I.e. no
code review?
Just that the patches that get pushed are potentially of higher quality
because they had actually been reviewed?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring