[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sat Sep 19 11:00:11 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:
> Il Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:30:39 +0200, Vishesh Handa ha scritto:
>

>> * There is nothing to do with selling your soul. Each of us has
>
> We have a Manifesto, and we should, ideally, strive to respect it.

The manifesto is not set in stone. Everything evolves.

>> * We're using Coverify - a non free tool * We're shipping binaries for
>> Windows and Mac - non-free platforms.
>
> We're not *depending on it* nor it is important for contributions. We
> could live without it.

Nor would we be depending on GitHub. We would still have our own
infrastructure, which we would be recommending.

>> We have to draw the line somewhere.
>
> Not enough into making our own code, which is the heart of our software,
> dependent on proprietary tools.

Again, not dependent. I'm not advocating throwing away our
infrastructure and moving to GitHub.

> Of all your examples, you omitted the only shameful one for KDE;
> opendesktop. And in that case, a lot of people do *not* like it.

Urgh. OpenDesktop is just sad. It's strange we take issues with a
proprietary extension to our infrastructure, which would be used in
limited and case-by-case basis, when we use OpenDesktop so blatantly
and for so many years.

> And besides... hasn't the BitKeeper story taught us *anything*?

I don't know about you guys, but it has taught me that we can be
pragmatic and use proprietary software when the need arises.

--
Vishesh Handa