[kde-community] FOSDEM Organisation

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Dec 8 16:14:27 GMT 2014

On Saturday 06 December 2014 08:36:35 Carl Symons wrote:

> At least some of the FOSDEM organizers believe that it's important. They
> have a social conduct policy. It's published in the front of the program
> brochure. Apparently John doesn't think that it is proper (whatever that
> means):
>
> "Social conduct policy
>
>    The FOSDEM organisers were surprised to hear that
>    harassment is a common problem at open source conferences
>    around the world. While we have no evidence of antisocial
>    behaviour ever having been a problem at FOSDEM, we would
>    like to remind everyone that harassment of any kind will
>    not be tolerated.  Please report any concerns to a FOSDEM
>    staff member (yellow shirts), or contact our coordinator
>    Wynke on (telephone number)"
> from the 2014 conference in plain view
> (https://archive.fosdem.org/2014/assets/booklet-a1fec82960ed17ed7974bc2e9951
> dfc898c83318f8634f7ee046d952ada8ecb7.pdf)

That sounds pretty much exactly what at least I would be looking for in a code
of conduct, I think it is quite well written and balanced.
However, the important disadvantage of making your CoC available only to
people who are already _at_ the conference is that people for whom the
presence of a CoC is a criterion for joining the conference will never know
there is one.
So if they just put their social conduct policy on their website in addition
to the brochure, I think it would be fine.
Could you maybe ask your FOSDEM contact if they could do that, Carl?
Thanks,
Thomas