[kde-community] Jitsi Meet installation for KDE?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Jul 5 18:06:23 BST 2014

Hi everyone,
video conferencing seems to gain more and more importance within KDE. The
Plasma team has their weekly "Monday Hangout", the VDG regularly video-chats
as well, and I'm sure we're not the only ones.
Currently, Google Hangouts are our service of choice for that. It works well,
but its big problem is that it needs a proprietary browser plugin to work.
Requiring people to install proprietary software for their involvement in a
Free software community strikes me as... not optimal.
While looking for a Free alternative to Hangouts, I was pointed to the "Jitsi
Meet" service [1]. It's a completely Free software solution for which - thanks
to WebRTC - users don't have to install anything. There is a demo site for the
service [2], but of course people who use the service regularly are encouraged
to host their own installation.
The only caveat I found so far is that it doesn't work on Firefox yet (because
Firefox has they are lagging behind in implementing a certain RFC needed for
that) and not on Rekonq or Konqueror either (presumably for the same reason,
or maybe just because they're sending the wrong user agent string), but it
does work fine on Chromium, Chrome and Opera, one of which I assume most KDE
contributors have installed anyway.
Jitsi Meet has a built-in Etherpad and supports Screen-Sharing (through their
own Chromium add-on).

So the question is: Would it make sense for KDE to host our own Jitsi Meet
installation so we can do our video conferences purely on our own
infrastructure?

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitMeet