[kde-community] Proposal Tre: More formal release and announcement processes

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Apr 22 10:37:33 BST 2014

Proposal: To make the release and announcement process smoother and less
redundant work and to reach more people we should formalize and script some
(more) of the processes involved.

Details:
In the last weeks and months we had a plethora of releases and announcements.
Just take a look at the dot or the kde-announce mailing list [1]. And this
number of releases, announcements and promo work will even more increase with
a growing KDE community with new projects coming to us and being created
within KDE. So we need to do something about it.

One idea are the Sigma release days/weeks proposed in another emails where we
try to focus timewise. But we could and should as well formalize the processes
that lead the way to a release and finally the announcement of this release. A
first step could be the write it down in a simple way (not a whole book but a
simple check list) and at a central and well-known place how projects, suites
and single apps could get a release and some announcement of this.

An example for this could be (not yet complete and thus WIP):
- Use the release scripts from <repo> to create the tarball and l10n stuff
- Upload it to <place> and file a sysadmin ticket to publish it on <siteA>
- Fill in the form on <siteB> with a list of links to blog posts about this
release, a link to fixed bugs, 5 to 10 lines of text about what's new and
important and a list of screenshots or pictures
- Check the box that everything is green on build.kde.org for your software
- Propose a release date or week
- Name a single contact person for the promo team

Next steps:
- Check and/or write these release scripts.
- Check and/or write these l10n scripts.
- Agree on a formal process for release and announcement
- Work on the form mentioned above.
- Write down what happens on a release day from the promo perspective

Now please tell me your opinion in a short, constructive and polite way.
Details can be discussed in Randa and/or at Akademy. So let's concentrate on
the bigger ideas.

Thanks and best regards
Mario