[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "web services"

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Nov 10 18:12:29 GMT 2013

Hello community,

In the principles section of the manifesto, we have the following point:
"Projects that choose not to host their web services on KDE infrastructure
need to provide administrative access to the KDE sysadmin team; or, if such
access cannot be granted, a regular backup of all the code and data used by
the web services should be provided to the KDE sysadmins (except if the
service is not an integral part of the project's workflow, community
interactions and public image) to ensure continued availability"

Don't know how you feel about that one, but it sticks out like a sore thumb
when you look at the other points in the manifesto. All the other points are
short and to the point... but that one is just monstrous. :-)

It's kind of the pandora box though. The idea is basically we want to ensure
the continuity of online services outside of our infrastructure. I'm looking
for alternative wording for that one.

I'd be tempted to go with:
"Projects that do not use KDE infrastructure for their online services must
work with the KDE sysadmin team on an agreement to ensure continuity."

Opinions?

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net