[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:11:04 BST 2013

On Friday 16 August 2013 10:49:26 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Thursday 15 August 2013 13:37:56 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > See the subject - I don't understand why, if Ubuntu wants people to
> > develop apps for their Qt/QML based Phone OS (and perhaps, later,
> > desktop), they were not at Akademy? Not as sponsors, not with a booth,
> > not with talks and sessions... Or were they and I just didn't notice
> > them?
> >
> > They DID know that the single largest bunch of qualified Qt/QML
> > developers was having a meeting in Spain, did they?
>
> So, from the replies I summarize:
> - There were developers and talks, just a bit under the radar. A honest
> miscalculation of what Akademy is for*
> - Our marketing efforts of "KDE is people" has backfired, Canonical now
> thinks KDE = Aaron and Aaron = KDE ;-)
>
> So, how do we fix this? Again, from the perspective of "all
> Linux-on-smartphone efforts should be as successful as possible" and (an
> admittedly personal belief) "collaboration works better", we should try to
> work with them.
>
> What would work best? I'm guessing Albert and Michael have been doing their
> best to explain that we'd love to collaborate so I think we should ask them
> - how can we help you guys?
>
> Speaking for myself (as just a promo dude) I will do what I can: if there's
> anything KDE related to an Ubuntu Phone announcement, I will be more than
> happy to help promote it over KDE channels; and I'd be happy to (help) write
> something about KDE tech on the Ubuntu Phone to give some attention to the
> fund raising efforts from Canonical. Also, I could suggest a "Ubuntu Phone
> developers guide for KDE developers" but that'd require help from a
> technical person.
>
> Obviously I'd be willing to help the collaboration in other areas as well,
> wherever and however I can.
>
> I think Aaron already made clear that he would be happy to work on sharing
> as much as possible with the Plasma efforts he's involved in and kick folk
> around him to do the same. I just make the wild bet that the Frameworks
> folk are perfectly open to the same - standards benefit us all, so does
> sharing libraries. They are turning KDE Libraries into components which are
> separately useful, that sounds like a terribly useful think for Ubuntu
> Phone.

So I get plenty of replies in no time all over that I'm wrong, but when I offer
help and ask how we can actually do something constructive, there's only
silence? If the Canonical folks on this list don't feel like this mail was
directed at them - you're hereby corrected. If you don't feel like there is
anything you can do, please say so, we can then discuss trying to talk to
somebody at Canonical directly.

/J