Phonon

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 23:23:30 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have found recently that I cannot build KDE Runtime. In tracing
this, I ended up with an obscure error:

CMake Error at /opt/trunk-kde/kde/share/apps/cmake/modules/MacroEnsureVersion.cmake:95
(NORMALIZE_VERSION):
  NORMALIZE_VERSION Macro invoked with incorrect arguments for macro named:
  NORMALIZE_VERSION
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  phonon/CMakeLists.txt:18 (macro_ensure_version)

This error message actually means that PHONON_VERSION is empty.
Further diagnosing this, I noticed that Phonon recently made changes
to where they stored the version string, yet they updated their CMake
files.

Digging further, I discovered that CMake wasn't using the new ones,
because they are being installed to $prefix/share/phonon-buildsystem/
instead of the standard location ( $prefix/share/apps/cmake )
Can someone explain to me why Phonon is so special?

Note that if I don't get a reply, I will be reverting commit
1602df28e8b82aeeecb7cfb3fe1af52790be02d3 to Phonon in 24 hours in
order to restore my ability to build Phonon.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin