Building multiple source modules

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Jan 20 13:10:36 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2011, Michael Jansen wrote:
>> > I'd really like to know what I have to do to get you guys try to use and
>> > if necessary extend the tool we are using, CMake, instead of trying to
>> > solve those problems yourself each time ;-)
>>
>> Unless you plan to extend cmake to the level of maven that stuff is way out
>> of cmakes scope.
>
> I don't know much about maven...
>
> If you are interested, check out this:
> http://www.kitware.com/products/html/BuildingExternalProjectsWithCMake2.8.html
> It checks out, patches, configures, builds and installs cmake or any other
> projects.

ExternalProject is really powerful, one of the best additions to CMake
in the last years, IMHO.

See http://gitorious.org/winstng for an example of ExternalProject
which bootstraps, downloads and builds a Wt ( http://webtoolkit.eu )
and all of its dependencies.

It's a tiny shell script (.bat on Windows, bash script on Unix) that
downloads and builds everything from CMake to the PostgreSQL. The only
requirement is a C++ compiler.

winstng still needs some fixes on Mac (where GNU coreutils, etc are
not available) but it works pretty well on Windows and Linux, and on
Mac if you haven't messed too much with Macports/Fink/Homebrew.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org