build error in kdegraphics

Pavel Heimlich, a.k.a. hajma tropikhajma at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:58:19 CEST 2010

2010/5/30 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2010, Pavel Heimlich, a.k.a. hajma wrote:
>> Hi Alex,

>> > Attached is an updated version of the patch.
>> > Can you please verify that it works for you ?
>>
>> works fine
>> http://my.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=69868
>>
>> > The -xopenmp flag depends on the compiler, not on the operating system,
>> > right ?
>>
>> correct
>>
>> > One thing I noticed when looking at the cmake output on my.cdash.org is
>> > that it says
>> > -- The C compiler identification is SunPro
>> > -- The CXX compiler identification is Unknown
>> >
>> > The problem here is the "Unknown" for the CXX compiler.
>> > If you look in share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp.in, you
>> > will see:
>> >
>> > #elif defined(__SUNPRO_CC)
>> > # define COMPILER_ID "SunPro"
>> >
>> > This should be defined for the SunStudio compiler (also according to
>> > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-7599/6nirkt75m?l=en&a=view#bkaoe ).
>>
>> it is defined.
>> However I think in this case the
>> share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeDetermineCXXCompiler.cmake
>> comes into play, which does not know anything about Sun Studio (at
>> least in 2.6.4)
>

> Sure ?
> Attached is the file from the clean cmake 2.6.4 binary package for Linux,
> which contains the code for SunPro.
> Does it look different on your installation ?

this file does look the same here. Adding
-----
std::cout << PLATFORM_ID;
std::cout << COMPILER_ID;
-----
proved that PLATFORM_ID is assigned 'SunOS', and COMPILER_ID is
assigned 'SunPro'.
But I don't think it's being used in the kdegraphics context:
1. Grepping for the two variables does not yield anything useful in
kdegraphics sources.
2. in CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp.in, unknown compiler is labelled with
empty string, while the cmake output
---------
pkgbuild: -- The C compiler identification is SunPro
pkgbuild: -- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
---------
 refers to 'unknown':
---------
#else /* unknown compiler */
# define COMPILER_ID ""
---------

Actually the above identification messages come from
share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake:
---------
  # Display the final identification result.
  IF(CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID)
    MESSAGE(STATUS "The ${lang} compiler identification is "
      "${CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID}")
  ELSE(CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID)
    MESSAGE(STATUS "The ${lang} compiler identification is unknown")
  ENDIF(CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID)
---------