Do not force CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE=ON

Maciej Mrozowski reavertm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 05:43:33 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 29 of June 2010 02:29:15 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Sunday 27 June 2010 7:33:15 pm Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> > Let me reverse the question: why do you need to explicitly enable
> > colours? :)

> Mainly because the developers like it.
> The old buildsystem (with unsermake) enabled colors and we got attached to
> that feature. colors were set on by default iirc
>
> So this is just making things behave like they have for many years and
> because the developers like it that way.
>
> Not saying that we can't change for a good reason.  But this sounds more
> like a bug in CMake or something you could easily fix in your build
> script.

No, it's not bug in CMake (like I said, single stream redirection is detected
by CMake so that it doesn't output Esc characters) nor it's a bug in build
script, as apps not using find_package(KDE4) work as expected - they respect
CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE variable.

I think I wasn't clear enough.

Why do you need to hard-enable colours in CMake while it's already enabled by
default (so there's no need to force it - I've noted this in first post) -
leaving no means to disable them for those who for some reason don't like or
want them.

set(CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE ON)

This is not enabling colours by default, this is forcing them.
It's equally 'lethal' as hardcoding CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE, CMAKE_INSTALL_DIR (you
wouldn't want that, would you?) and similar. Leaving you no choice but to edit
CMakeLists.txt (which against its purpose as a build system - being flexible
and adopting to build environment).
As for hardcoding CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE, CMAKE_INSTALL_DIR, I've seen many broken
packages with buildsystem along the lines "we know better".
People do.

Anyway, forget it, I'll just patch it locally for Gentoo as getting things
upstream is in general resource wasteful (I think this is why most dirtros
prefer saving resources - we still need to get smarter).

P.S.
Seriously, I didn't expect proposing removal of hardcoded, unnecessary
CMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE=ON to force me to waste so many posts explaining those
obvious things.

--
regards
MM