Request to bump Qt version requirements to 4.6.3 for KDE SC 4.5 (and above)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Jul 8 19:28:01 CEST 2010

On Thursday 8. July 2010 18.42.36 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> The question is: who cares whether Qt minor releases are interchangeable
> or  not so that we can just specify minimal required dependencies to
> ensure only that stuff compiles?
>
> "the build-time dependency should only be a minor release of Qt " - is
> this  policy written anywhere? Why is it more important that code compiles
> than providing better user experience? I think it's fundamental question.

The build-time requirement doesn't influence the run-time requirement of Qt.
You can compile against 4.6.3 and then run against 4.6.0.

So requiring 4.6.3 to compile will NOT get your bug solved.

You need to convince your distro to upgrade. And all KDE has to do is to say
that distros should upgrade.

And that should go without saying that distros should always upgrade. And they
do.

So what are you complaining about?

Bug reported -> ceck
Bug fixed -> check
Distros upgrading -> check

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358