Setting paths which depend on CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 12:42:26 CEST 2009

On 05.06.09 10:20:25, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > However I don't think defaulting to the kde install prefix is a good
> > idea
>
> I disagree. Back in the kde3 days I made the autoconf stuff do exactly that.
> "checking where to install... /d/kde/inst/kde3 (as returned by kde-config) "
>
> This is because otherwise your KDE app won't even start, if it uses
> parts or plugins.

The application will start, it won't have much functionality though.

> You need to set $KDEDIRS somewhere that kde startup will read, and rerun
> kbuildsycoca4, when you use another prefix than your KDE install prefix.
> So in general it's much easier to install every kde app into the KDE
> install prefix.

I expect that people that compile from sources are able to find this
particular information in whatever tutorial they follow. Else that tutorial
is broken.

> > will screw their /usr directory.
>
> How? Typically "make install" as user is not able to write into root-owned /usr.
> So it has to be intentionnal, anyway, in that setup.

If a user is confronted with make install needing more permissions than he
will just run sudo make install. People do that, without thinking because
it'll get them a result in no time.

In fact IMHO every of our tutorials should suggest to install into
$HOME/foobar and then set KDEDIRS+run kbuildsycoca4.

Andreas

--
Beauty and harmony are as necessary to you as the very breath of life.