KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 5 22:38:43 CEST 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009, Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 January 2009 22:44:00 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> > > SVN commit 917950 by cgiboudeaux:
> > >
> > > FindKdepim isn't (and shouldn't) be used anymore.
> > > Removing this cmake module.
> > >
> > > Ack. by Allen.
> > >
> > >  D             FindKdepim.cmake
> >
> > Do you know if it's used somewhere ?
>
> If somewhere means KDE trunk, then no, it is not used anymore in trunk.
> Almost all applications which called this module didn't need it but
> KdepimLibs instead.
>
> The only valid use we found is in extragear/network/kopete-cryptography.
> Since libkleopatra wasn't moved yet to kdepimlibs, a cmake file was created
> there.
>
> > We shipped this with 4.2, right ?
>
> It is in branches/KDE/4.2, yes.
>
> > This means any 3rd party developer could use it, and by simply removing
> > it we break his app. So, except if you have a good argument, this is a
> > source incompatible change, which we must not do.
>
> Using it is most likely a mistake. Nothing should rely on the applications
> in kdepim.
>
> As a side note, even with this file, FindKdepim should return an error
> (because kdepimprotocols.h is not installed anymore since rev. 909693)
>
> > At the very least we should keep a FindKdepim.cmake there which gives a
> > useful error message, something like:
> >
> > message(FATAL_ERROR "You are trying to use the obsolete FindKdepim.cmake.
> > Use ... instead. The following variables have to be changed like this and
> > that...")
>
> There are no variables to change, applications outside of kdepim shouldn't
> use anything there.
>
> a FATAL_ERROR with a message inviting to discuss the issue on the kdepim ML
> sounds reasonable.

I just checked and found that this did not happen.
Please add a FindKdepim.cmake which aborts with message(FATAL_ERROR ... ) with
a useful error message.
Please add this also in 4.3 branch.

This is a source incompatible change, and even if we agree that it may make
sense here, still we should provide a useful error message for the ones who
did use it nevertheless, so they know what to do.