Cross compiling KDE / Nokia N900

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Dec 23 18:07:26 CET 2009

Em Quarta-feira 23. Dezembro 2009, às 14.29.48, Alexander Neundorf escreveu:
> > And we need to be able to create host executables for our own builds too,
> > and run them.
>
> This has to be done in a separate build tree with cmake (or reuse an
>  existing build host installation).

That's a bit too much work. When cross-compiling, sometimes we need to compile
a program to do extra work. Sometimes that program is installed, other times
it isn't (example: meinproc).

So we need host targets as well as cross-compilation targets.

I agree this is much more complex, as many tests would need to be duplicated.
It's like qmake's debug-and-release mode, which basically runs everything in
two separate passes.

> > As for pkg-config, it's also a host tool. The difference is you set some
> > environment variables telling pkg-config where the cross-compilation root
> > is, so that it may find the correct .pc files. Note, however, that the
>
> Locally I have a patch for FindPkgConfig.cmake, which sets
>  PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR and PKG_CONFIG_PATH when cross compiling to point only
>  inside the ROOT_PATH (i.e. the target environment).
> Does that sound reasonable or would this be wrong ?

My script for cross-compiling sets this:
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/opt/maemo/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/usr/lib/pkgconfig
PKG_CONFIG_SYSROOT_DIR=/opt/maemo/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc
PATH=/opt/teambuilder2/bin:/opt/maemo/bin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR PKG_CONFIG_SYSROOT_DIR PATH

It's the SYSROOT variable that is necessary but triggers the bug.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358