Debug buildtype broken

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Sep 19 22:18:12 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 19.09.07 20:15:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Some flags suggestions:
> > Release: -O2
> > RelWithDebugInfo: -g -O2
> > optimised-but-debuggable: -g -O2 -fno-inline -fno-schedule-insns -fno-reorder-blocks
>
> Thats whats used for Debug right now and it doesn't work at all. I guess
> gcc just ignores the -f's and optimizes according to -O2.
>
> > Debug: -g -O0
> > Debugfull: -g3 -O0
>
> I'll change FindKDE4Internal.cmake next Monday then with the attached
> patch. (Unless somebody has objections of course).

You're ignoring previous discussions on this...
I do agree that "-g -O2 -fno-inline -fno-schedule-insns -fno-reorder-blocks" makes
step-by-step debugging very hard, despite what Dirk and Thiago might say.

However the point of having -O2 in the default flags is that -O2 gives better warnings
than -O0. Without optimization, you get no warnings in many cases (e.g. unused local variable, etc.),
and since there are more people compiling KDE than there are people doing step-by-step
debugging, it's not completely wrong to have -O2 in the default flags...
People who want to use gdb can use Debugfull -- just like we did in KDE3.