kcheckpass setuid

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Oct 26 18:30:52 CEST 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> moin,
>
> people are complaining about being unable to unlock their session.
> that happens when they installed as a regular user other than the one
> they are running kde4 with.
> the root of the evil is this line in kcheckpass's cmakelists:
>
> install(TARGETS kcheckpass DESTINATION ${BIN_INSTALL_DIR} PERMISSIONS
> SETUID OWNER_EXECUTE OWNER_WRITE OWNER_READ GROUP_EXECUTE GROUP_READ
> WORLD_EXECUTE WORLD_READ)
>
> cmake fails to chown - of course - but does not abort and simply goes on
> with the chmod to setuid. of course, the result is complete nonsense.

I think you are slightly wrong here.
CMake doesn't *fail* to chown, it doesn't chown *at all*. It just sets
the "setuid" permissions bit, and I guess this succeeds (at least it does
here for me).

So it's more like a missing feature to chown at install time (not that this
doesn't help here).

So I'd suggest:
-file a feature request at www.cmake.org/Bug
-add a post install command which does the chown (chmod is already done)