make install

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:33:00 CEST 2007

Hi all,

Today it came up on IRC that we all don't like that make install reinstalls
*everything* every time you run it. The time to do this is a considerable
fraction of the total time to make install if few files changed. What's even
worse is that the heavy disk activity makes the system respond very slowly
during the install.
AFAIK make install actually compares the installed files and the "new" files
for equality and only installs what has changed. That doesn't help at all
with speed and reducing the number of disk seeks.
Apparently there is a bug report for this
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=3349
which I haven't readbecause you need an account to read bug reports (what
were they thinking???).
Alex, is there anything you could do about this? I think it's a high
priority item for KDE.

Cheers,
Andreas