OpenGL vs. Qt4 OpenGL

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Mon Dec 17 23:35:01 CET 2007

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> What is libQtOpenGL.so that I find in my qt-copy/lib?
> And how does it differ from /usr/lib/libGL.so that I also find on my
> system?

libQtOpenGL.so is the library that implements the Qt OpenGL module support.
i.e. QGLWidget and its related code.

/usr/lib/libGL.so is the OpenGL library itself.  i.e. the C language library
which provides the OpenGL graphics primitives.  Qt's OpenGL module uses this
library to provide OpenGL support.

> kpat links against ${QT_QTOPENGL_LIBRARY}, which points to
> qt-copy/lib/libQtOpenGL.so

As it should.

> should we permit stuff to build against QT_QTOPENGL?
> so far, the only instance I've seen of this is in kpat

Yes, this should be allowed.

Basically, Qt's OpenGL module depends on the system libGL.so.  An application
could conceivably use libGL.so in addition to Qt's support (i.e. Qt's
QGLWidget is useful but doesn't expose enough of the OpenGL API) or instead
of Qt's support.

But libGL.so is required in all cases, either directly by the application or
indirectly through Qt's OpenGL module.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne