Fwd: KDE/kdebase/libkonq

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 2 15:11:51 CET 2006

Benjamin Reed wrote:
>On 3/2/06, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> On ELF systems using dynamic libraries, where such nonsense is not
>> necessary, don't install the dependency libraries.
>>
>> To our Windows developers: how does MSVC solve such nonsense? Can it
>> link to a DLL without requiring that DLL's dependencies to be listed?
>> Or does it require you to know what dependencies a DLL has?
>
>On OSX you have to list all depends, as long as you're using symbols
>from the dependent library (even indirectly).

Which is braindead.

Sorry, but it is.

If I upgrade a library I use in my simple program and it adds a new
dependency, I have to review my program's ld flags.

For such brain-damaged systems, the installation of an .la file is a
requirement.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.