qt-dbus build doesn't honor rpath?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jun 9 21:17:56 CEST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 18:07, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > I have no idea what it is. I just use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > in your case) to point to the right dirs, since I didn't install the
> > library in a well-known path.
> >
> > According to the cmake devs, rpath can bring serious problems, so that's
> > why it's not encoded in the binaries by default. I don't agree, but I
> > left the build doing the default.
>
> This may be true, but on OSX it's the norm (and expected).
> Additionally, it *works* in the normal kdelibs build, so there must be
> something going on there that fixes things that isn't going on here.

Nothing mystic going on there.
Have a look at set_target_properties() on the cmake manpage. Using these
properties the RPATH/install_name_dir stuff can be adjusted.

In FindKDE4Internal.cmake (search for RPATH in this file and KDE4Macros.cmake)
it is done that way that if you set CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH to TRUE, no RPATH at all
is used and for running the executables from the buildtree shell scripts are
generated.
Otherwise, during build the RPATH is set to the builddir, so that executables
can simply be run without installing.
When installing the RPATH is set to the INSTALL_RPATH, which consists
basically of the Qt lib dir, the KDE lib dir and the install lib dir.
By default the INSTALL_RPATH is empty.

Bye