howto install rules ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 13 20:03:16 CET 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 19:31, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 06:59:45PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 13 January 2006 18:32, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > I think we're mostly concerned about KDE 4 here, so if you want to have
> > > cmake rules for both KDE 3 and KDE 4, I think it is preferable to have
> > > KDE be the default prefix for KDE 4 and use KDE3 for KDE 3.x stuff
> > > instead.
> >
> > Having KDE3_ for KDE 3, KDE_ for KDE 4 and in the future KDE5_ for KDE 5 seems
> > quite inconsistent to me.
> >

> IMHO, KDE 5 is a bit too far away to look that far ahead. Let's just
> worry about KDE 4.

On the contrary; I would like KDE_FOO for kde4 so that we will NOT have
to convert it all from KDE4_FOO to KDE5_FOO when comes kde5.
Assuming we keep the same build system, why should everyone have
to convert all the buildsystem files?

We had Makefile.ams for kde1, kde2 and kde3, and we didn't need to go
crazy with search-replace at each new version.

Hardcoded version numbers always bite back.