bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

Nagy Thomas tnagy256 at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 10 20:49:04 CET 2006

> On Tuesday 10 January 2006 18:39, you wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >Many things you are discussing here are already
> implemented by cmake,
> > > and: *the cmake guys want cmake to become the
> buildsystem for KDE4*.
> >
> > In order to do that, they must drop the support
> for make and write a tool
> > to build. The use of make is a very negative point
> for cmake, because
>
> To make it clear: cmake supports multiple
> buildsystems, adding another one
> doesn't mean that the support for make would have to
> be dropped.
> cmake generates the build files, and then the actual
> build tool works with the
> generated build files. This means it generates
> Makefiles for make, XCode
> projects for XCode, MSVC projects for MSVC.

This is fantastic, so basically cmake is a compiler,
right ? what about other compilers like jam or qmake
which are known to be really powerful too ? Or omake
which provides a portable shell with it ? This is not
really far from autotools so we could even stick to
them after all.

> If there is a build tool which does have a concept
> of compilation and
> non-compilation jobs and which has progress
> information, support for this
> build tool can be added as an *additional* generator
> to cmake.

Nice in theory, in practice who will maintain the
generators and make sure they are in sync with cmake ?

> If this results in different behaviour, it is a bug
> in cmake and the cmake
> devs will take care in fixing it.

To extend cmake one has to patch it and code in c.
Pretty problematic for programs that prefer to come
with their own compilation scripts.

And for the part "i have managed to compile almost all
of kdelibs 3 with cmake", there is no denying that
kdegames (or kdissert) were compiled and installed
using scons long before cmake scripts were usable
(despite the difference between the skills of a uni
student and a long-time programmer). Understanding the
KDE building specs (and writing them down somehow) has
taken more time than expected so there is no reason to
drop bksys for anything else yet (except perhaps in a
month, if i cannot prove my fixes worthwhile).

Bye,
Thomas

/* Thomas Nagy */