Patch for dcop & win32

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 00:53:00 CEST 2005

David Faure wrote:
>On Sunday 16 October 2005 22:42, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Let me take the opportunity to understand something about DLLs on
>> Windows: does at least one compiler require you to specify each and
>> every dllimport and dllexport?
>
>Yes, apparently. Otherwise Qt wouldn't bother doing that too...

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

>> This will impose a serious problem for KDE libraries because:
>> a) we have a great deal of them
>
>So? It's only a matter of defining the proper macros, see
> kdelibs_export.h (and koffice_export.h in koffice for the same thing
> there)

It's still #ifdef hell and I wish someone at Microsoft had given it a bit
more of thought when they came up with their compiler's extensions

ELF puts basically the complexity inside the dynamic loader -- which is
also its downside, because loading is slow if the programmer didn't take
great care.

>> b) our developers aren't aware of this need and will therefore use the
>> wrong macros
>
>Well, we'll teach them :)
>It's quite obvious anyway, once you see KOFFICEUI_EXPORT in all
>kofficeui classes, you use it for new kofficeui classes; the scheme
>is self-documenting :)

Ok.

>> c) bksys will have to define a macro for each target being built, just
>> like MSVC
>
>The MAKE_FOOLIB macro? Yep; maybe we can automate that part
>a little bit in bksys.

Exactly that one. bksys will have to emulate MSVC behaviour and declare
such macro for each target being built. Also, mind you that it must
include the _final_ target for a convenience library (example:
libkdecorenetwork.a must see MAKE_LIBKDECORE as well).

I just hope we don't have one object being used in two targets.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.