Question about bksys

Nagy Thomas tnagy256 at yahoo.fr
Wed Nov 30 13:33:12 CET 2005

> One of the questions that passed through my mind
> while I was doing the lua
> module was - What happens in the case where you have
> two programs, one with
> an optional dependency and one with a required
> dependency on say lua?

Good idea, except that some checks may depend on other
checks.

> I was thinking that maybe generate(env) should
> return two parameters,
> found_or_not_found and reason_for_exiting.

Attach a hashtable to the env ? like
env['DEPS']={}
env['DEPS']['testlua']=critical

> Then the SConstruct file could have:
>
> modules : 'a b c'
> optional : 'd e f'
>
> That way you could have the same checks independent
> of whether the module is
> optional or not, with a interface between generate
> and where it is called
> from either allowing the build to continue or
> exiting with the given
> reason_for_exiting.
>
> The other advantage of this would be the ability to
> build up a CPAN type
> collection of scons checks which developers could
> mix and match. As I see it
> now the developer would have to change the check
> depending on whether the
> check was optional or required for their program.
>
> Am I missing something or would this be something
> worthwhile? If it is then
> I'm happy to doing the coding.

Make sure it makes sense and then go for it. I am
currently in the process of changing the bksys
back-end (replacing scons by something else ..).

happy hacking,
Thomas

/* Thomas Nagy */