[Kde-bindings] Qyoto ARGB windows using C++ QApplication hack: crashes

William Lahti xfurious at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 07:08:12 UTC 2008

>  Originally I wanted C++ namespaces to be converted to C# partial classes, too,
>  so that the C# API would more resemble the C++ one (e.g. that you could write
>  Kimono.KIO.SomeMethod() )
> but that lead to the gmcs crash we talked about a

Abusing partial classes in that way is a bad idea. If you think about
it, you would be forced to refer to any classes in the KIO namespace
using the KIO identifier like this:

new KIO.SomeKlass ()

There would be no way to do:

using Kimono.KIO;

...because your C# compiler would complain that KIO is a class. Is
that what you mean by by gmcs crash?

>  few weeks ago. Now there is an extra class for the namespace methods if there
>  are any. So you have to write Kimono.KIO.KIONamespace.SomeMethod() if you
>  want to access a method that's in the original C++ KIO namespace. This 'new'
>  naming scheme is not applied to the Qt classes to keep the old API and old
>  code working

I think the Qyoto.Qt class works quite well for Qt's purposes...
unfortunately such a setup doesnt apply for KDE considering it's
namespaces. I'm not a fan of the "Namespace" suffix as it is big and
unwieldy.... maybe Kimono.KIO.KIOGlobal instead? It would at least
shave 3 letters off..

--
fury

long name: William Lahti