[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings/ruby/qtruby

David Palacio dpalacio at uninorte.edu.co
Thu Dec 11 00:56:10 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 07:46:23 Richard Dale wrote:
> SVN commit 895236 by rdale:
>
> 	* Special case the Qt::Image.bits() method. Use the const variant so that
> 	  Qt doesn't make a deep copy. Is that what Davor Ocelic and David Palacio
> 	  would like it to do?
> 	* For other uses of 'uchar *' return types add a marshaller, hoping that
> 	  will be null terminated.

1) I checked which functions returned an uchar* in the Qt includes. All of
them are expected to be used to directly transform the data.

2) If the returned String when changed also affects the QImage, it makes
sense. That is the intention for the bits method. (Checks on IRB... it does
not).

3) I was blindly translating a C++ application to Ruby and stumbled on bits().
Now I did it in another way, maybe not as efficient though.

If 1) is true and 2) does not change (which I think is unlikely to do), this
might have little sense.