[Kde-bindings] Lengthy discussion about bindings languages in KDE core modules

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Tue Apr 1 09:01:34 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 01 April 2008 03:06:38 Gary Greene wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 10:33:43 am Richard Dale wrote:
> > FYI:
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-release-team&m=120691074304920&w=2
> >
> > -- Richard
>
> This discussion has irritated the hell out of me, since it means that
> people are trying to narrow the scope of KDE pretty heavily to only C++.
> Leo is being far too unreasonable about it, since it seems his aim is to
> eliminate all bindings based apps from the "core modules". Personally, I
> think that the kcms would do good to be written in a scripting language,
> since all of them do stuff with plain text files. Guidance is a good option
> for it to allow quick and easy patching for new distros, etc.
Yes, I agree. I see no need to write stuff like system settings, which is just
a bunch of forms that write to config files in c++ 'for efficiency'.

I was writing interpreted p-code apps in Pascal over 20 years ago, that ran on
two 64k Z80s and even then it made sense to use an interpreted language. If
we are still having arguments about compiled vs interpreted when typical
machines have 1 or 2 Gb or ram, we've screwed up somewhere.