[Kde-bindings] Replacing kalyptus

Mauro Iazzi mauro.iazzi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:29:47 UTC 2007

Hi Arno,
  having used such a system myself I'd like two put my two cents on the table.

I tried to understand kalyptus code, before deciding to use GCC-XML.
Given that I'm no perl wizard I could not even read that. So it was
simpler to find another solution.

I also tried using unmodified Qt's moc, to bind the slot-signal
system, just as QtScript. This worked well, and the result is bundled
with lqt (in http://repo.or.cz/w/lqt.git though I didn't announce it
yet because I'm busy at the moment).

Looking at the moc's source I had the impression that transforming it
into a fully fledged C++ to XML  parser was beyond my possibilities.
However it seems a viable solution, as the moc is very good (as usual
from trolltech).

I would like to suggest considering also the possibility to use
GCC-XML. While it would be an external dependence, I feel it would
have a lot of pros too.
First it is developed from the same company of cmake, so that it is
backed as a project by active developers, though the actual project is
evolving slowly at this time.
Second it is already what you would need and is usable right now. I've done it.
Third, even if it is secondary for now, it would be a great push to
the development of GCC-XML, and that could benefit other open source
projects as well and ultimately be a push to merge it into gcc itself
(where I think it belongs).

Parsing an XML output is a breeze, I know well. I had very little
difficulties and got a code that is very brief and very simple. I'm
sure it would be a good move to XML in any way. I hope you decide so.

Even if you deeeeI would suggest looking at the GCC-XML output for a good idea