KDE Priority handler 0.2 Beta

tiger tiger rx.sweden at home.se
Mon Oct 1 13:45:43 CEST 2007

Name: KDE Priority handler
Version: 0.2 Beta
Type: KDE Other Utility
Depend: KDE 3.5.x

 KDE Priority handler is an application that
monitors the current active processes/applications
and let's the user categorize the process into an
priority group.

This is very usefull for buggy and/or cpu
intensive applications. By adding these to an low
priority group makes the desktop usable even if
they go berserk on the system.

Hope you find it usefull.

How it works:

By default most user processes get the nice level
0, higest possible to set without root access.
My program monitors the active processes and
change thire nice level to correspondent with the
group it's been added to witin my program.

ex. The user starts konqueror, and get an popup
about this processes is found and is unrated. Now
the user chooses "konqueror" in the treeview to
the left, then presses the "Webbrowser"  icon.
This renices konqueror to the nice level of
webbrowsers. Next time konqueror is started (and
KDE Priority handler is runing) it will
automaticly renice the process without any user
interferance.

With the introduction of v0.2 most of the
suggested features are added and quite a few
other. Please feel free to comment/drop me an mail
about features you miss or bugs you found.

Changelog:
 2007-10-01 KDE Priority handler v0.2 Beta (Major
update)

Feature: Group management. It's now possible to
add and remove groups.

Feature: Added the abilaty to handle processes
independent from any group.

Feature: Added icons to indicate whatever an
process is active or not.

Feature: It's now possible to change priority and
icon for a group by selecting it with the right
mouse button.

Fix: New unrated processes now get an low priority
(17).

2007-09-15 Beta 0.1.1 relased

Fix: Removed the "Store" button as it's function
was removed prior to the beta release.

Fix: Removed the popup. Dident work well, was
mostly annoying.

Feature: The system tray now uses an different
icon if there is unrated processes.

Feature: It's now possible remove the rating
policy for an process. Select it in the "Rated"
tree and press delete(keyboard).

NOTE: The package filename have changed to include
version.