[Kde-accessibility] ANNOUNCE: at-spi2-atk 2.8.1 released

Piñeiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Mon May 13 16:12:25 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

at-spi2-atk is the communication bridge between an application that
implements ATK (an accessibility framework) and an accessibility tool,
like an screen reader. For example, GTK implements ATK, so thanks to
at-spi2-atk, any application written in GTK, like Gedit, is accessible
through Orca, an screen reader.

So, if you want your ATK-compliant to be accessible, you need that
module. Having said so, take into account that KDE doesn't implement
ATK. They have their own accessibility framework, and there are an
equivalent bridge, called at-spi2-qt. Thanks to it, the accessibility
support of several qt apps are improving, and are being possible to be
accessed by Orca. So if you want to use Qt applications with Orca screen
reader, you would need that module.

I hope have been clear enough

Best regards

Alejandro Piñeiro Iglesias (apinheiro at igalia.com)